Old August 28th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Helmut Wabnig[_2_] Helmut Wabnig[_2_] is offline

Default Thoughts about the tape measure 3 element direction finding Yagi

(repost updated)
All started because I could not get the PVC tubing which the many
internet sites propose. The plumber shops where I live can only supply
heavy massive material suited as killing weapon in the hands of a
desperate fox transmitter hunter.

So I had to look for an alternative design and that lead me
to the aluminium boom with the movable slider.

With the PVC tubes it should be possible to make the middle "T"
moveable, or not? Would have to drill through the T with
a larger diameter wood-drill.
http://tinyurl.com/3vygo9f

I am here now:
https://sites.google.com/site/tapemeasureantenna/
This allows for future changes, updates and additions.

The old stuff is still the
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1...oxhuntyagi.pdf

What's missing is a list of ready-to-build recipes.
Am still struggling with the tape-measure correction factors
for the antenna simulator (4nec2)
Anybody having already tried simulating tape measure antennas?

3 element Tape measure direction finding antennas are a bit larger
than their 2 element competitors like the MAY1000
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/MAY1000.html
A simple two element ARDF antenna must be carefully adjusted
in element spacing, else it will be totally worthless. This often
applies to the portable HB9CV antennas from the junk box
which are being used off their design frequency.
I cannot imagine running through underbrush thicket with the MAY1000.
It will quickly fold into it's sales package size :-)

w.

Regards,
w.