Old August 30th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_3_] Sal[_3_] is offline

Default Chinese duplexers

"Rob" wrote in message
Sal wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message

snip

Geoff.

If your intent is to experiment with the cheap duplexer, what I have to
offer is irrelevant. However, if you aim to build a repeater, consider
getting your isolation over distance (much greater than 10m). Put the
transmitter and receiver a few km apart and link them using another band
authorized in your area (440?).

I encountered this in Key West Florida some years ago. Worked fine
there.

It is done here on 10m, where the duplex offset is only 100 kHz and
a duplexer is physically very large.

However, what I hear from the repeater team is that one is in fact
building and maintaining 2 repeaters, doubling the chance of any faults
and problems. Setting up the 10m repeater was much more work than
everyone envisioned, and many had experience on 70cm etc.

Yup. Two repeaters. But avoiding "cans" just might be a blessing.

My local club has a repeater using new electronics but an old duplexer.
I hate periodically re-tweaking the duplexer but
I'm the only one with the spec-an/tracking generator, so I'm it.

The repeater maintenance budget will handle a new duplexer soon.
Hallelujah!

Sal