Old September 2nd 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:38:05 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

On 9/1/2011 10:11 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

For a given physical size antenna, high gain antennas imply narrow
bandwidth and critical construction. On the other foot, low gain
antennas, such as the biquad, is fairly broadband, and therefore not
particularly critical to construct. What's fun is to attach the
antenna to a reflection coefficient bridge or directional coupler,
http://pe2er.nl/wifiswr/
http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/rlb/texscan.png
http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/rlb/
sweep generator, and oscilloscope to look at the VSWR curve. Then try
moving things around. On my crowded workbench, location of the
antenna relative to the highly reflective test equipment make a huge
difference. The changes do not really have a big effect on antenna
operation, but they certainly present a different picture as compared
to the nice clean curves on the data sheets.

You're building a CW radar, basically.
That's how near field ranges work, too.

Yep. Also known as a proximity detector and possibly a really bad
interferometer. I can see cars driving by, people moving around in
the house, trees swaying in the wind, and the opening and closing of
doors and windows. These are all easy to identify on the sweep
because they all move around. Only the major dip in the VSWR curve,
near resonance, remains fairly stable.

Back to MFJ bashing... On my desk is yet another MFJ-259B for
repair, probably with the two blown shottky diodes that I previously
mentioned. One of the local hams heard me talking about the problem
over the local repeater, and decided that maybe I could fix it for
him. Usually, they wait until the week before Field Day for such
repairs but he's installing a tower next week and wants it fixed
yesterday. Sigh.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D