Old September 3rd 11, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

On 03 Sep 2011 13:56:30 GMT, dave wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Back to MFJ bashing... On my desk is yet another MFJ-259B for
repair, probably with the two blown shottky diodes that I previously
mentioned. One of the local hams heard me talking about the problem
over the local repeater, and decided that maybe I could fix it for
him. Usually, they wait until the week before Field Day for such
repairs but he's installing a tower next week and wants it fixed
yesterday. Sigh.

Have you discussed this with Martin Jue?

No. I don't own an MFJ-259B. This is my 3rd(?) repair for what
appears to be exactly the same problem. I don't see how calling MFJ
will prove anything as they are apparently aware of the ESD problem.
See quotes from manual below.

I also reverse engineered the MFJ-1800 antenna, and also decided that
it has a problem. I have not called MFJ on these issues. Too busy
and too lazy.

I think it's rude to bad-mouth
a fellow ham behind his back.

Would you prefer I keep it secret and not tell fellow hams how to fix
it and why I think they blow up? I believe that I clearly labelled my
guesswork as conjecture and not fact. If hams were only allowed to
discuss things that are absolutely certain, the airwaves would be
silent.

I don't see how the diodes are a problem,
if you follow directions.

The units that are failing are not mine. I have no control over how
they are used.

As I vaguely recall, one failed while connected to some HF wire
antenna, the 2nd failed while plugging in a variety of calibrated
loads on the bench, and the most recent failed while attached to a
mobile HF antenna. It was difficult to determine the exact cause of
each failure because the unit did not just die, but instead started
producing insane readings. In all cases, the user thought something
was wrong with the antenna or loads, not the MJF-259B.

If you live somewhere dusty or snowy and dry
enough to make static, use a gamma match or an UnUn or some other means
to keep your antenna at DC ground.

Attach a high impedance voltmeter to a wire antenna blowing in the
wind and note the DC voltage produced. In my area, the humidity
rarely goes below about 30%, so static build up should not be a
problem when attached to an antenna. Currently, the humidity is
80-90% (morning fog), but when we get the hot dry winds from the
desert, the humidity will drop sufficiently low to cause problems for
a few daze.

What I believe is killing the diodes is not RF. It's the user
building up a static charge on plastic seat covers, synthetic clothes,
plastic carpet, etc, and discharging it into the antenna connector
when plugging in the antenna connector. Incidentally, one of my
customers with chronic equipment failures was traced to a negative ion
generator, which produced impressive high voltages on nearby object.

I have been using germanium diodes
for 50 years and can't remember frying one in a small signal RF
application.

How many of these germanium diodes were directly connected to the
antenna connector?

Apparently you missed my previous rant on the topic. See the
schematic extract of the RF section at:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/MFJ-259B-RF-section.jpg
Notice the directly connected diodes. The diodes in question are
Avago HSMS-2820 zero bias shottky diodes.
http://www.avagotech.com/docs/AV02-1320EN
15V Max PIV is rather low. It won't take much voltage at the antenna
go exceed 15V. The two 47K resitors going to 0.01uf bypass caps make
an effective ground to any fast risetime voltage spike at the antenna.
An important clue is that BOTH D3 and D4 appear to be blown each time,
which implies an external failure, not a component failure.

What does Martin say about bleeder resistors?

I don't know. I haven't discussed this or any of my allegations with
him or MFJ support.

I have a 4" pigtail around the ground lug and a male banana plug on the
end that lives in the middle of the SO-239, unless I am making
measurements. I use the banana plug as a shorting stick to neutralize
any residual capacitive charge in the device/coaxial cable under test.
Center conductor to cable ground. If I am especially concerned I'll
groung the 259B to my extensive safety ground system. When dealing with
little diodes you always want to make sure none of the sparks go through
them. Ground, ground and ground.

Yep. That's a good way to provide some protection. However, there's
no protection while you're juggling connectors when you run the risk
of a static discharge to the center of the coax connector.

I don't recall reading such a procedure in the user manual. However,
there are plenty of warning:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-259B.pdf
In section 4.1:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OR RF SIGNALS TO THE
ANTENNA CONNECTOR.
and in 5.1:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY RF OR ANY OTHER EXTERNAL VOLTAGES TO THE
ANTENNA PORT OF THIS UNIT. THIS UNIT USES ZERO BIAS DETECTOR
DIODES THAT ARE EASILY DAMAGED BY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OVER A
FEW VOLTS.
and in 5.2:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OR RF SIGNALS TO THE
ANTENNA CONNECTOR. PROTECT THIS PORT FROM ESD.

Clear enough. It would appear that MFJ is fully away of the fragile
nature of the input circuitry.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D