Old September 4th 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yep. That's a good way to provide some protection. However, there's
no protection while you're juggling connectors when you run the risk
of a static discharge to the center of the coax connector.

I don't recall reading such a procedure in the user manual. However,
there are plenty of warning:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-259B.pdf
In section 4.1:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OR RF SIGNALS TO THE
ANTENNA CONNECTOR.
and in 5.1:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY RF OR ANY OTHER EXTERNAL VOLTAGES TO THE
ANTENNA PORT OF THIS UNIT. THIS UNIT USES ZERO BIAS DETECTOR
DIODES THAT ARE EASILY DAMAGED BY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OVER A
FEW VOLTS.
and in 5.2:
WARNING: NEVER APPLY EXTERNAL VOLTAGES OR RF SIGNALS TO THE
ANTENNA CONNECTOR. PROTECT THIS PORT FROM ESD.

Clear enough. It would appear that MFJ is fully away of the fragile
nature of the input circuitry.

I learned to ground everything working on transmitters the size of
houses. The B+ is bled and grounded when you open the door, but you
still ground anything metal before you touch it. It translated nicely to
CMOS procedures on the bench. I am a grounding fool because I know any
conductor can store a charge lethal to solid state and that any friction
produces a charge. (I humidify, too!)