Old September 8th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

On 07 Sep 2011 18:43:40 GMT, dave wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
ohms-guesser). It therefore seems possible that the owner had
transmitted into the instrument (even though he denies it).

Why would anyone connect that antenna analyzer to a transmitter (unless
using the BNC?)

Good question. I asked the same question when we discovered that the
radio clubs Kenwood something HF transceiver had most of the
components in the receiver front end vaporized or incinerated after a
contest weekend. My best guess(tm) is that someone plugged one of the
tangled mess of coax cables lurking behind the bench, into a live
transmitter, thinking it was an antenna cable. Few of cables are
labeled. Of course, nobody will admit to doing it.

My guess(tm) is that something like that happened with the MFJ.

Incidentally, in the box with the MFJ-269 was an N-male to UHF-female
adapter, which brings back the possibility of an ESD discharge when
the center pin was connected first.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#