Old September 13th 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default Losses in shunt-fed towers

Antonio Vernucci wrote:

Hi Wim,

despite my wire is only 4mm in diameter, SWR does not vary at all applying a
steady full-power carrier (not even some small oscillations of the reflected
power meter needle). I then presume that no big corona effect takes place (also
because I see no corona light at dark). I am not sure whether a light corona
effect (i.e neither visible nor influencing SWR) could take place, but if so I
presume loss would anyway be very low.

I will check again under rain conditions (test not done so far), but I am not
sure whether rain increases susceptibility to corona, with respect to hot summer
days (with umidity close to 80% sometimes). Any idea at that regard?

What happens if you move the slant-wire up or down on the tower?