Old April 22nd 04, 03:29 AM
Fred McKenzie

I got
myself a can of wrinkle paint through a local automotive supplier.

They want three heavy coats spaced ten minutes apart and then leave it alone
for 24h.

Uwe-

It sounds like you're on the right track now.

I played with wrinkle finish paint as a teenager, fixing up several old
pot-metal microphone cases. There are probably more options today than there
were then. It may have been Krylon that I used, but I don't recall.

One thing I remember, is that you can get non-wrinkle paints to wrinkle by
applying a second coat before the first has dried completely. That is
essentially what your instructions do, except your automotive paint should be
optimized for wrinkling.

Three coats may produce a gorgeous wrinkle finish, but I wonder if it might be
delicate to handle. You might run tests to see if two coats will wrinkle
sufficiently and not be as easily damaged by rough handling.

Another thing to try while you are experimenting, is to wrinkle-paint a sample
item and then bake it. You don't want to scorch the paint, just let it cook
for 30 minutes or an hour at 200 or 250 degrees F, and let it cool. See if
that toughens the wrinkled surface so it will withstand some abuse. (If
someone knows about baked-on paint, they may give you better advice on time and
temperature.)

73, Fred, K4DII