Old September 17th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default streaming audio ap Internet Shortwave Reciever Professional Software Ver. 1.5

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:18:23 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

Doesn't skype not support point to point? i.e. you couldn't do it from
192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20 on a private network. I thought skype
always needs to through the master skype resolver (to do a sort of
dynamic dns function)

True. If you're not connected to the internet, Skype will not work.
The connection needs to be established via the distributed Skype
directory server system. You cannot easily bypass this to connect to
any random IP address or to your isolated LAN.

If you really want to do that, perhaps a simple G.711 VoIP client
would be sufficient.

If you want to roll your own, there's:
http://www.speakfreely.org

Yes.. of course there's that "end of life announcement" from 2004.

Still works fine for me. Eventually, Microsoft will trample on some
obscure function and declare anything that then fails as legacy and
unsupported. Until that happens, it still works. Having the source
code is also very handy. SpeakFreely has been the basis of several
VoIP applications.

I suppose that if it works well enough, one can keep using it forever
(gosh, I've got plenty of software from the 90s that I keep using)

I'm still running a Xenix 2.3.2 server from about 1988. It should
continue to function until the hard disk quits. I've been waiting for
that to fail for at least 10 years.

All I was looking for was a "virtual audio cable" of some sort. (yes, I
know that VAC is actually something else)

Virtue and virtual are their own punishments.

No, just that kind of simple thing.. send 3kHz BW audio from one PC to
another, preferably with an app that is available for all 3 platforms
(Win, Mac, *nix)

Something that has a command line like:
sendaudio -i {input audio source} -o 192.168.1.1
recvaudio -i 192.168.1.1 -o {output audio device}

VLC will encode via an RTSP (real time streaming protocol) container
using RTP (real time transport protocol).

This looks like the magic incantations:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Command_Line_Examples#RTSP_live_streaming

Server:
% vlc -vvv input_stream --sout '#rtp{dst=192.168.0.12,port=1234,sdp=rtsp://server.example.org:8080/test.sdp}'

client:
% vlc rtsp://server.example.org:8080/test.sdp

Mo
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Advanced_Streaming_Using_the_Command_Line
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Command_Line_Examples

Watch out for the screaming media features versus OS list.:
http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html

I must admit that I've never tried using VLC for encoding. If I have
time, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, good luck.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS