Old September 18th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default electric-fence wire?

On 9/17/2011 11:51 AM, Padraigh ProAmerica wrote:
Just acquired a couple reels of electric-fence wire from someone who got
smart and got rid of her horses. Question: is this wire (seems to be
aluminum) useful for antenna applications?

I have lots of electric fence wire that is aluminum. I like it because
it's easy to handle.

However, I have never tried it for antenna wire. It is quite soft and
stretches a lot. I suspect it would be fine for a 40 meter dipole, but
for anything lower in frequency it might continue to stretch under it's
own weight, plus a center insulator, balun and coax weight.

Try a length suspended at 5-6 foot and then add some weight in the
middle to simulate the coax and other stuff and measure the sag to
ground over a week or so time period.

Paul, KD7HB