Old September 20th 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Kenneth Scharf wrote:
I was told I could use parallel runs of coax with the shields connected
to each other (and nothing else). 93 ohm coax would be best if I can
find some!

That gives you something like 150 ohms for RG-11, or 200 ohms for the
93 ohm stuff (which your Belden rep can sell you). Not 450 ohms.
Whether this is a problem or not depends on your antenna system.

A remote tuner is an option and there was an article in QST this month
on building one. But the differential cap (in a "T" network) and roller
coil driven by motors seems a bit "Rube Goldberg" to me. I'm also not
too sure how to build an end of limit switch for the coil.
(you don't want to leave that out!!!).

How does a remote tuner help you? You still have to run a 50 ohm
feedline and then transform to 450 ohms at the transmitter.

What's wrong with having a local tuner at the radio? I mean, besides
the feedline losses.
--scott