Old September 20th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 9/19/11 17:54 , dxAce wrote:

DEFCON 88 wrote:

On Sep 19, 6:47 am, wrote:
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

Pricey

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DROOL! Now THAT'S the look and layout of a REAL RADIO. None of this
damn bumping-through-the-microprocessor-menu crap.

Kind of like my R7 in a way, but most likely not the same build quality.

Probably not in some individual subsystems or components. But
overall...they're about the same.

Kind of like the difference between R71, and R5000. The ICOM and
Kenwood had different strengths, different weaknesses, but were,
when all was said and done, equivalent products.

I had a R-5000 for a few years, always liked the audio on it. It was/is more
flexible than the R7, but overall, if I had to choose, I'd take the R7 just
for its flexibility and IF shift, and, for its IF notch filter versus an audio
notch.

I still like the Sherwood 3 kHz filter that I have in the R7.

When I got back into DX'ing in 81-82 I really liked the Yaesu FRG-7700 which
opened up a whole new world. digital readout, park on the frequency and they
were either there or not. That, and the recording/timer function and I could
listen while I was sleeping.

Got my first R7 in 1984 or so, and the R5000 around '89 or '90 if I recall.
And when the R8 came out I got that in '91.

Great times!