Old September 25th 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default Back yard tower advice??/

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:45:19 -0400, Tuuk wrote:

Hi,
I have a big self supporting tower in the yard, it is grounded by
grounding rods and of course itself. I am attaching two satelite dishes
to the tower. The most practical way is using 2x4 wood, this will work
great just screwing them to the wood and it will squeeze itself to the
brackets and support nicely. I am wondering about the connection to the
tower because there will not be grounded to the tower. There wont be any
connection (metal to metal) form the satelite dish and the tower, that
leads me to believe that the only grounding would be the shielded cable
which gets grounded to the nice new 50" plazma.

My question is should i ground that? Should the satelite dish itself be
grounded to the tower? Is there any reason for this? Safety wise or
interference wise? It would be very simple to do, but not sure if I
should or want to. Please give me advice as to either ground the dish to
tower or not to. Does anyone think there will be issues? Should I or
shouldn't I?

Thanks for any advice.

I would [hah!] try to avoid using lumber. Have you ever played with
Unistrut?