Old September 26th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Back yard tower advice??/

"Jeffrey Angus" wrote in message
On 9/25/2011 6:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jeffrey wrote in message
Several commercial tower sites I used to service used wooden
cross supports between telephone poles.

The thing with lumber is that it can hold moisture and cause the tower to
rust where the wood is.
Also if it is treated wood, the chemicals may cause the same thing only
faster.

Each cross brace has about a dozen 2" diameter galvanized stubs to
attach the antennas to. They are bolted directly to the cross braces.

All the wood was treated with Creosote just like the poles themselves.
The site was at least 40 years old the last time I was up there in 2005.

The stubs didn't look any worse than the usual stubs bolted to metal
tower assemblies.

I think Creosote is mostly a form of oil. Probalby helps iron not to rust.

The newer treated wood needs special screws depending on the chemicals used.
Thank the EPA for that.