Old September 26th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Back yard tower advice??/

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:46:17 -0500, Jeffrey Angus
wrote:

Each cross brace has about a dozen 2" diameter galvanized stubs to
attach the antennas to. They are bolted directly to the cross braces.

All the wood was treated with Creosote just like the poles themselves.
The site was at least 40 years old the last time I was up there in 2005.

You mean like this?
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Old%20Repeaters/slides/LoopMtn02.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Old%20Repeaters/slides/LoopMtn03.html
We had similar derrangements at 3-4 other sites. Telephone poles and
lumber were about 20% of the cost of a galvanized steel tower.

Lightning protection was at the entry point to the building with a
metal plate with some PolyPhasor feed through protectors. The end and
highest antennas were also grounded with a undersized #4 copper wire
running down the pole to a ground rod at the base. We didn't get any
lightning hits because there was an all metal forestry lookout at the
highest point on Santiago which took all the hits.

The stubs didn't look any worse than the usual stubs bolted to metal
tower assemblies.

We used the same hardware that was used the Ma Bell. Thick galvanized
and loose fitting steel hardware. Same as what the typical steel
tower is made from these days. It works nicely on both metal and
telephone poles.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D