Old September 28th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,oma.general,nebr.misc,rec.radio.info
ARRL Members Only Web site ARRL Members Only Web site is offline

Default Answering a question about D-Star (was Statewide Nebraska D-Star Emergency Network (was September 2011 Nebraska Section News))

Roger Grant, KB0VVD, wrote and asked if storm spotting will still be
done on 2-meter FM or if everyone will need to switch to D-Star.

I tried to make it clear in my newsletter and I apologize if I didn't
make it clear enough. The Statewide D-Star system is in addition to
all that we now do. It offers an additional capability and is not
intended to replace our current 2-meter FM activities. The Statewide
system gives us the abililty to keep county emergency managers in touch
with each other and with the state emergency operations center. It also
allows us to coordinate ham radio resources if that becomes necessary.
In fact, we will be experimenting with linking FM repeaters into the
system.

Some day in the future, digital communcations may replace FM just like
SSB replaced AM a few decades ago. But until that time, your VHF
and/or UHF radios will continue to be the workhorses in our emergency
communications arsenal.

Sorry if I caused any concern.

If you chose to get into D-Star, you are, of course, most welcome to
use the system.

73, Art K0AIZ

ARRL Nebraska Section
Section Manager: Arthur I Zygielbaum, K0AIZ