Old September 28th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default LDG Z11 Pro II tuner with an Icom IC-761

On 9/28/2011 11:37 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Hmmm... why do you need an antenna tuner? Can't you build an antenna
that's close to 50 ohms? Or, are you like me and just hang any random
length of wire in the trees and hope for the best?

For close to 40 years I bought into the myth of 50 ohm antennas.
Absolute crap results. (Well, I've always had very good luck with
a dipole for one band.)

Earlier this year I put up a 102' doublet fed with open wire line
and have been working the entire planet with less than 100 watts.

But you're right, I'm a lazy ******* and would like the frequency
agility rather than having to tweak the knobs on the MFJ tuner
every time I change frequency.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--