Old September 29th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default LDG Z11 Pro II tuner with an Icom IC-761

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:46:35 -0500, Jeffrey Angus
wrote:

On 9/28/2011 11:37 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Hmmm... why do you need an antenna tuner? Can't you build an antenna
that's close to 50 ohms? Or, are you like me and just hang any random
length of wire in the trees and hope for the best?

For close to 40 years I bought into the myth of 50 ohm antennas.
Absolute crap results. (Well, I've always had very good luck with
a dipole for one band.)

Mythology went out with the Greeks and the Romans. Modern antenna
design requires newer beliefs and religions. Apparently, your
practices within the Cult of 50 ohms has failed to bring about the
desired miraculous DX. You might want to petition the radio gods for
a review of your design before you discard the cult completely.
However, there are alternative religions.

In my case, I switched and am now a practicing member of the Cult of
75 ohms. The difference is subtle. While worship of the 50 ohm idol
results in the maximum power transfer, the change to 75 ohms results
in minimum coax loss and somewhat easier antenna design. However, the
major benefit is it allows one to minimize the tithe paid to vendors
as CATV coax is cheap and readily available. I suggest you consider a
religious conversion.

Earlier this year I put up a 102' doublet fed with open wire line
and have been working the entire planet with less than 100 watts.

Hmmm... perhaps that's because the bands were miserable all last year
and have only recently begun to show signs of life. Timing is
everything.

I thought you were trying to load a barbed wire fence. I'm
dissapointed.

But you're right,

Far right, please.

I'm a lazy ******* and would like the frequency
agility rather than having to tweak the knobs on the MFJ tuner
every time I change frequency.

Yeah, I know the problem. Every time the kite at the end of your
102ft doublet looses altitude, and the middle scrapes ground, you have
to retune. However, the IC-761 has plenty of knobs and switches to
play with. I don't see how a few more on the tuner could make any
difference.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Why is my mouse glued to the mouse pad? Sigh.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS