Old September 30th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default LDG Z11 Pro II tuner with an Icom IC-761

On 9/28/2011 10:46 AM, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
It comes with an adapter cable for Icom radios, but it's a
4-pin Molex connector and the manual doesn't show what the
connections/signals are for the radio.

Multiple Homer Simpson "Do-oh!" moments.

LDG was kind enough to supply me with the application note for
the interface cable.

I have two Icom radios. An IC-761 with an internal tuner and an
IC-726 designed to use with an external tuner. The IC-726 has the
mating 4-pin Molex connector.

The two signals are essentially a "request to tune" and an "tune
complete". The IC-726 has a TUNE button on the front panel for
telling the external tuner to do it's thing. (By the way, I do
have the matching AT-150 auto-tuner for the IC-726.)

All three of the tuners, the IC-761 internal, IC-726 external and
LDG have an SO-239 connector for the output and would require an
external balun to connect to an open wire balanced feed line.

The reason I was using the MFJ Versa Tuner with the IC-761 was
fairly simple. It has an internal 4:1 balun and connections for
open wire balanced feed lines.

Since I had to purchase a balun to use the LDG tuner I realized
that "Oh, I can use the Icom tuners with the balun as well."
That was my first "Do-oh!" moment.

Subsequently on researching the interface signals to/from the
LDG I realized that the IC-761 doesn't have a TUNE button or the
signals externally because the tuner is already inside the radio.
That was my second "Do-oh!" moment.

Once the MFJ 4:1 current balun I ordered arrives, the only question
that remains is whether or not the specified matching range of the
Icom tuners is sufficient to deal with my antenna system.

The Icom tuners are specified at 16.7 to 150 ohms.
The LDG Z11 Pro II is specified as 2-1000 ohms.
Oddly enough, the MFJ Versa Tuner has no specified range.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"