Old April 26th 04, 01:03 AM
Lou

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Lou

"G.Beat" wrote in message
news:BiXic.33928$w96.2409259@attbi_s54...
"Lou" wrote in message
I've been looking for a 4 pin voltage regulator. I have a particular
number
in mind (uA78HG), but so far as I know, they're not in production

anymore.
I've looked in a couple places on line for a 4 pin job, with no luck.
Since
the one I "need" seems to be gone for good, right now I'm willing to use
any
12 vdc - 15 vdc 1 Amp or more voltage regulator to get my power supply
going
to any extent - rather than leaving it collect dust or tearing it apart.

Failing finding a VR of my needs, I guess I'll have to redesign this

thing
to work some other way. I thought a last minute search may produce
something
to make life easier. Any ideas? With all the crap I have here, I could
build
a few power supplies (probably). But never ever - do I have the part "I"
need.

Lou

Lou -

I see from the Internet that this is not a new question.

] UA78HCSC and UA78HG
]
] Both of these numbers were found on 2 separate yet supposedly identical
] parts/units. They were 4 pin regulators used in a 5-15VDC 7 AMP Power
] Supply. Now, the HG number came from the manual itself for the power
supply
] I purchased originally. The HCSC was on a spare unit I bought - found on
] E-Bay about a year ago. It may have been replaced and for all I know not
] quite up to par with the HG. I've never run the spare unit through it's
] paces yet. I don't have any listings to confirm or deny this. BUT if
someone
] has these parts and willing to sell them, or know of a source thereof,

I'd
] be happy to hear from them. OR something equivalent. As the other
gentleman
] alluded to, I don't want to have to "redesign" these power supplies.

IF this regulator is a TO-3 case, why not use a National LM317 (or 350,

338)
adjustable regulator?
It comes in a TO-220 and TO-3 case style (as well as number of surface
mounts)
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM317.html

Fairchild spec sheet
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM317.pdf

LM-317 tutorial
http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/...rial-full.html

On-line LM-317 designer
http://www.qsl.net/ok1duo/lm317.htm

Over voltage protection (add-on)
http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci...r/car_conv.htm

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci...ower/lm317.htm

A higher current design (using 2N3055 pass transistors)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...den/page12.htm

w9gb