Old October 3rd 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default SDR recommendations?

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 18:15:12 -0400, Ted Ham wrote:

After the prior post mentioning SDR radios, and me seeing how they work
withe the web radios, I am now intrigued by the concept. There are
several DIY and assembled brands used, with SoftRock being among the
best price. However, SoftRock does not appear to be available at this
time and several other brands may be "retired" as well.

What would be recommended? I don't want to spend a fortune, but still
want decent quality, preferably covering the HF bands. SSB, AM, FM. I
see a brand called Elektor SDR offering assembled kits under $150 US.
However, some people have problems with setup and a weak receiver. Now
they have a preamp for another $75 or so.

Appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
Ted Ham

Wild ass guess: