Old October 5th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default back and front MALWARE girl

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 04:39:14 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:17:56 -0500, dave wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 23:49:22 -0700, AJL wrote:

The current version allows you to easily revert to the old desktop if
you want. I did. But IMO there is not that much overall OS improvement
to do the upgrade unless you just want to try it which is why I did.

11.04 did. 11.10 does not. I'm sticking with 10.04 LTS. The new desktop
is for morons. They are obviously trying to appeal to tablet-brains.

The Unity desktop is usable, but not for me. I don't think it was
designed for tablets. Methinks it was an attempt to use the "extra"
screen space afforded by 16:9 displays. In effect, it leaves the menu
on the left side of the screen most of the time. I switched back to the
older Gnome 2 desktop on 10.04 and am living happily without Unity.
http://www.geekgumbo.com/2011/05/04/...esktop-to-the-

gnome-desktop/

On Fedora 15, the new and improved Gnome 3 is in my never humble opinion
a step backwards. The designers apparently decided that configuration
options should now be either well hidden, or intentionally misplaced in
non-obvious places. Some of the logic is amazing. For example,
requiring a logout before a restart. Is there a problem with killing
user processes that justifies this?

Meanwhile, KDE 4.6 seems quite good (I haven't used it much) but really
gobbles RAM. I also tried Mac4Lin with 10.04 and had problems. Oh well.

At least we're not spending $160 for the privilege of BSODs! I like Puppy
Linux, which I believe is GTK on top of Ubuntu. Not pretty but incredibly
responsive. Will run on anything from first gen Pentium.