Old October 10th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bruce Gordon[_3_] Bruce Gordon[_3_] is offline

Default Power supply noise reduction techniques.

In article

,

Tom Horne wrote:

I'm looking for advice on the reduction of noise in my radio audio

that is coming from the charge controller for the battery that they

run on. My power supply is arranged in the following sequence;

Receptacle outlet (power point), Astron RS-50A linear regulated power

supply, Xantrex C35 Charge controller, 150 AH Absorbed Glass Mat

Battery, Rigrunner Model 4008 power strip, Radios and other loads from

there. First let me assure everyone that I have exonerated the other

loads by disconnecting them from the Rig Runner. Second I have

exonerated the Astron RS-50A by substituting an RS-35M with no

change. I know that these Xantrex charge controllers use a form of

pulse modulation to forestall sulphation of the battery plates and the

attendant loss of capacity. I do not know if that is the source of

the noise that other operators have told me is occurring on my audio.

What does clear up the noise is turning the power supply off and

running directly off of the battery. I could pull the charge

controller out of the circuit in order to differentiate between noise

from the power supply and noise from the charge controller but I would

like to continue to use the Charge Controller and filter the noise at

the input of the Rigrunner. That way the noise, in the form of the

anti sulphation pulses, would make it to the battery but not to the

radio.

Does this seem like a practical approach and how would I go about it

and still allow the anti sulphation pulses to reach the battery.

--

Tom Horne, W3TDH

First off, Why do you have a charge controller in the system in the

first place????? If you just set the Regulated Power Supply to

14.1 Vdc, and let it float across the AGM Battery it will keep

Fully Charged, without issue. When the battery voltage drops below that

14.1 Vdc the Power Supply will make up the current, being drawn, to the

point that it recharges battery back to the setpoint of 14.1 Vdc.

AGM Batteries do NOT Sulfate, in the normal sense of the word.

I use a pair of L16HDs in series to power my shacks 12Vdc Buss. They

are feed by a Numar 35Amp Regulated Power Supply, that is set for

13.4Vdc. The Power Supply floats the batteries at 13.4 Vdc, until I go

into Transmit Mode, and then it takes over supplying the loads up to

its 35 Amp capacity. At that point, the Battery makes up the difference,

until the load drops below 35 Amps, and then the Power Supply will

slowly recharge the batteries back to float at 13.4Vdc. this has been in

continuous use, for 20 years, with only a single change of Batteries,

with NO other issues, and I really didn't need to do a Battery swap, and

used those old batteries elsewhere, till they finally died.

--

Bruce in Alaska add path before the @ for email