Old October 10th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Power supply noise reduction techniques.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:45:29 EDT, Tom Horne wrote:

Does this seem like a practical approach and how would I go about it
and still allow the anti sulphation pulses to reach the battery.

Based on my own experience:

1. Bypass the charge controller - it won't hurt the battery if done
for a short time. Then you will see if it is in fact the device or
not.

2. If it is the device, sayonara - put it on eBay and get a
unified full-capacity regulated charger with known low- or no-noise
characteristics and designed for the specific type(s) of batteries to
be floated.

The one that I use is the Precision Dynamics PD-9260 60A "smart
charger" made for my AGMs with no problem. It will also run the rated
load without a battery, It's intended for RV applications so the
price is a bit high, but then again you get what you pay for.

(I don't own stock in Precision Dynamics....)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon