Old October 14th 11, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.sport.golf,alt.conspiracy,talk.politics.guns
John Smith[_7_] John Smith[_7_] is offline

Default (OT) Steve Jobs.

On 10/14/2011 6:31 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:07:08 -0700, John
wrote:

Exactly, electronic books in an open architecture which can be read on
any appliance using any software/hardware of choice ... instead of them
all attempting to be "the next phone company" and sell us a ridiculously
cheap service at a ridiculously HIGH PROFIT!

I break the e-book DRM of books I buy, just so I can make sure I can
always read them.

Might as well just buy the book ...

I have over 5,000 books, but I'm retired and see the time when I will
be moving into a couple of rooms. E-books take up much less space.
(They are hard to get autographed though).

I have a relative who works for a large publisher, she has access to a
non-destructive book scanner, I ship the books to NY, book rate, she
scans them and emails me the digitized file, if I wish to keep the
physical book, she mails it back, if not, she turns it in at a used book
store for credit for her acquisitions ... covers and any pics included,
I convert them to .html and use my html reader and laptop.

I have gotten so used to carrying the laptop with me, it just seems
natural. I always have it in small backpack which also comes in handy
for any other items I need to carry, such as a small thermos of
expresso, tobacco, notepad, snacks, extra ammo, etc.

Fishing, family outings, appointments, waiting for the wife shopping,
visiting my mothers', etc. ... I just never leave home without it ... it
is simply loaded with books and decoded/digitized movies, mp3's, etc.
.... any I wish to keep, I archive on DVD ...

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be without these
capabilities ... my wife calls my backpack my "man-purse."

Regards,
JS