Old December 9th 03, 07:13 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Art:

[snip]
"Art Unwin KB9MZ" wrote in message
So you work alone.

[snip]

No! Heh, heh... can't be a consultant without customers!

One must be people oriented to be successful in business.

People do business with people!

[snip]
Actually I am
surprised that you have a wife

[snip]

Now that's a cruel and vindictive thing to say. You don't even know
me or my wife.

In my humble opinion Mary is the world's most wonderful woman,
a beauty, great dancer and socializer, a great life partner, mother, and
absolute saint to have put up with me for forty years.

Let me share some of her pithy comments with you so that you can see
what she is made of... :-)

She has often said, "don't bring any more of those nerdy ham radio friends
of yours around here all they can talk about is their rigs!". Or another
great
comment, "I'll never drive your car, with all those antennas on it, I don't
want
anyone to think I'm married to a nerd!

Kinda neat isn't she?

[snip]
knowing how vindictive you are as shown
with your outrageous treatment of Chip Cohen.

[snip]

Heh, heh... *My* outrageous treatment of dear sainted Chip?

Be fair Art.

What about his vindictive treatment of me?

He initiated his discourse with unsolicited personal attacks
on me for nothing more innocous than attempting to engage him
in scientific discourse! What?

Hey Art, go back and re-read the postings... Chip launched unwarranted
ad hominem attacks upon my person [not on my questions, statements or
discussions] the very first time he encountered me on this NG. All I had
done was to ask Dr. Cohen for a layman's explanation of what he was trying
to accomplish with fractal antennas. A fair question, no?

My first encounter with Chip on the NG went something like, "Chip: What
are the advantages of fractal antennas over other types". His response?
"Who are you to question me? -- N. Cohen, Ph.D."

For some unknown reason Chip seemed to take questions as a threat
rather than as an opportunity to learn or prosyletize.

Hmmm... it seems to me that you might also have such a "defensive" response
to technical questions as well but with a somewhat different defence
mechanism.

Art, the scientific method is fun, why can't you just be open to technical
questions and criticism and learn from it if you can. What exactly are
you afraid of when people question your ideas?

Your defensive attitude towards the questioning of your peers and
colleagues and subsequent pleas for pity and relief from further questions
because of your professed technical handicaps is not helping your cause.

Instead of hiding from questions and seeking solace in statements of
incompentence, just "have at it"!

"If you want to run with the big dogs you can't sit on the porch!"

Art... technical discourse is just that... technical *discourse*. A
technical
give and take of questions and answers intended to inform, educate and test
the validity of new ideas. It's the basis of the "scientific method".

Never take technical questioning personally! Such questions are not aimed
at your person or behaviour rather they are aimed at your ideas. Take
questions
as an opportunity to hone and improve your ideas.

Handle questions, respond to them, interact. Just do it!

Art you will do your cause more help if you abandon your defensive attitude
and just just stand up and trade information or field technical questions
from your
peers and colleagues, pleas for pity and claims of incompetence lead
nowhere!

Art if you dealt with technical questions here on the NG directly, why then
you will learn from the more knowledgeable and help to teach the less
knowledgeable and further improve or popularize your own inventions.

It's a win-win situation. Don't be a cry baby!

Life is about choices, don't choose to make yourself the worst enemy
or your own ideas!

--
Peter K1PO