Old April 29th 04, 04:26 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I agree with Reg, since you hae so many you've nothing to lose except a
little time and perhaps some smoke. I do many genereiuc swaps and the only
thing that concerns me first is the polarity, size and power. If those are
close I try it. I think in this case you're in luck as the first Google hit
shows both transistors. Here it is:
http://www.electronics-ee.com/Electr...ransistors.htm

Its always frustated me why the UK had to use a different system for
numbering similar things. Perhaps it's for the same reason we drive on
opposite sides of the road, hi hi hi. Drving over there frustates me so
mcuh I don't even try anymore unless there's no other choice but I do pick
up UK numbered transistors whenver I see them at swap meets, just in case I
can use it. So far I've only found a couple!

Let us know how it works and have fun
73
Hank WD5JFRP
"Marshon" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Throw me a bone here.......
Although I only have my UK Foundation licence, I'm not quite a novice
when it comes to circuits. I worked for many years as an IT systems
engineer, can read a schematic, and understand what a circuit is
doing.
What is really starting to bug me is trying to locate a source of
information for alternative parts, especially transistors. I have
acumulated literally hundreds of parts, but I can guarantee that for
any given project I wont have the exact quoted part and will have to
order in a part costing pennies with handling and delivery in pounds.
Maddening to be sure.
Does anyone know of a site that gives a list of alternative or
equivalent parts? As an example, I have hundreds of 2N2222 transistors
but the requirement is for a single BC547 of which I have none. The
datasheets would suggest that the 2N2222 would do the job, but is it
always going to be a 'suck it and see'?

Any advice gratefully received.

Simon (MW3CUR)