Old October 22nd 11, 02:31 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diaper View Post
And I am still looking for one--
The 117 Super Magnum was a better antenna then the Penetrator, but the design flaw is that the ground plane elements has to be at a 45* angle in order for them to work properly.

When the element is straight out at a 90* angle and droops - it is not as effective and does not do anything.

10 meters and 11 meters is only about 1 mhz difference, or about 4 inches max of length to tune it up.
If the band is open, which ever direction it propogates in, you can talk, reguardless of how much transmit power you use.
I talked half of Europe yesterday with 100 watts on 10 meters SSB.
All I was using was a old wore out Solorcon 99A and some equally wore out Radio Shack RG 8 coax.

So the question is - how much gain should you expect from a verticle antenna with ground planes.
The Manufacturers claims that you should have 3 DB of gain, but in fact it is usually less then 2 DB.