Old October 24th 11, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Power supply noise reduction techniques.

On 10/10/2011 4:14 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:45:29 EDT, Tom wrote:

Does this seem like a practical approach and how would I go about it
and still allow the anti sulphation pulses to reach the battery.

Based on my own experience:

1. Bypass the charge controller - it won't hurt the battery if done
for a short time. Then you will see if it is in fact the device or
not.

2. If it is the device, sayonara - put it on eBay and get a
unified full-capacity regulated charger with known low- or no-noise
characteristics and designed for the specific type(s) of batteries to
be floated.

The one that I use is the Precision Dynamics PD-9260 60A "smart
charger" made for my AGMs with no problem. It will also run the rated
load without a battery, It's intended for RV applications so the
price is a bit high, but then again you get what you pay for.

(I don't own stock in Precision Dynamics....)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

I just suggested teh same converter... 9260.

I will add... I have heard complaints of "nose" from those.. but my
TS-2000 which is closer "Electrically" to the converter than the
batteries,,,, Can not tell the difference between converter on and
converter off (Till the batteries go down that is)

The unit in my RV is a 9180 with wizard

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

-----