Old October 24th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Joe from Kokomo[_2_] is offline

Default The Worst Audio on Shortwave...

On 10/23/2011 2:43 PM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:

I swear, during some of those screamingly "spirit filled" services that
I've heard aired on certain "urban" stations, it sounds like both the
preacher and his congregation actually rise into the air by the end of
the broadcast.

On my very first job in broadcasting (as a board operator), a preacher
came to the studio on Sunday morning. It was quite a sight for my naive
young eyes. Spittle flowing freely, sweat flowing freely, a bright red
face. I truly thought the man was having a stroke or an apoplectic fit.

Later, as Chief Engineer of another local FM outlet, we had many
storefront churches that we sold time to. Most were unattended by anyone
from the station; they just had a Bogen line amp we told them to turn on
a half hour before air time. Talk about distortion and bad audio!!!!

A few of the wealthier churches paid to have a radio station operator
attend the service with a 3-channel Gates mixer and Shure mics. I can't
say I ever saw anyone "actually rise into the air by the end of the
broadcast", but it was wilder than any rock and roll concert. I always
said (semi) facetiously that they had a 40 piece orchestra: one organ
and 39 tambourines. :-D