Old October 25th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DEFCON 88 DEFCON 88 is offline

Default 770 KUOM (And High-Noon MW Skywave)

On Oct 24, 12:31 am, dxAce wrote:
DEFCON 88 wrote:
On Oct 23, 11:52 am, dxAce wrote:
Thought I'd check out 770 here at 1345 and found KUOM, University of
Minnesota, playing Adult Alternative music. ID'ing as 'Radio K', and the DJ
as 'Mitch'. Listed as 5 kW.

Quite surprised at the signal strength, using the Drake R8 and 200' W-E wire.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Nice catch, especially during the daytime. Was that 1345 zulu (0945
EDT)? I'm assuming it was ground wave and not some bizarre post-
sunrise burp of the ionosphere. IIRC, Michigan recently had a soaking
rain, so maybe ground conductivity is extra good. I've heard them here
in Ohio at sunset.

Yes, 1345z. Not sure if groundwave, as it faded by 1410.

Sunrise here was about 1208 and in Minneapolis about 1239.

With the music that was being played, and the announcer, at first I thought it
was a pirate.

Soaking rain, huh. Right now we have a t-storm and lightning moving through.

OK, the fadeout probably means skywave. Rare conditions can give mid-
day MW
skywave DX. In fact, I had a vague memory of a great high-noon MW
skywave
opening to the northwest. I dusted off my old logs and sure enough, on
January 25 1994 I heard these stations right around noon:

1112 EST - KDAL 610 - Duluth, MN - 5 kw
1139 EST - WKKQ 650 - Nashwauk, MN - 10 kw
1200 EST - CJOB 680 - Winnipeg, MB - 50 kw
1216 EST - WDSM 710 - Superior, WI - 10 kw
1248 EST - WMEQ 880 - Menomonie, WI - 10 kw

Winnipeg (CJOB) is about 1,000 miles away from me. Hearing 1,000 miles
to the
northwest via skywave at high noon on medium wave blew my mind! This
kind of
stuff is why I love to DX medium wave.

They were heard on a Drake R8 and Kiwa loop.