Old May 2nd 04, 07:48 PM
Fred McKenzie

I will scan them in both Mac PICT format and Windows BMP format with no
compression. Most scanned images like QST CD1s are in TIFF or JPEG format
which usually pretty bad for scanned paper.

Biz-

The reason you don't like the TIFF or JPEG scans, is because they are bad
scans! If done at a high enough resolution, TIFF is close to the best you can
do. JPEG compresses the images to reduce file size, but will degrade them if
you go too far.

Although I am using a Macintosh, I think you are wasting your time with PICT
and BMP formats. I would recommend scanning to TIFF and converting to JPEG for
the final product, unless you can fit both TIFF and a good JPEG on one CD. If
your scans have good detail, there may be more data than you expect.

A format that may work with the widest selection of systems, is Adobe Acrobat
PDF. That may be the best way to consolidate all of an issue's pages into a
single document. Many of the equipment manuals on the net are in that format,
and some have extremely fine detail.

73, Fred, K4DII