Old October 28th 11, 02:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.energy.homepower
m II m II is offline

Default Faulty Chinese generators....

I've had it with Chinese garbage. The amount of trash they produce each
year staggers the imagination. What's even more amazing is that we
continue to buy it. 'Customer' is quickly becoming synonymous with 'Stupid'.

This is the starter solenoid from a 5kw Chinese diesel generator
(Launtop powered):

http://www.scotiabunk.com/Quality/small-1.jpg

The machine has two hours TOTAL running time. Note the quality rubber
boot. Also note the soldered connections. Those are the solenoid winding
terminations. You can NOT get at the contacts until you de-solder the
wires. I learned that when I had to clean the non-conducting starter
contacts on another, similar, Launtop machine.

This is the reason why the starter wouldn't crank the engine over:

http://www.scotiabunk.com/Quality/small-2.jpg

I'm lucky the broken piece didn't get caught in the flywheel ring gear.

This is from the socket set I used to remove the battery terminal lug
nuts with.

http://www.scotiabunk.com/Quality/small-3.jpg

Care to guess where they were made?

This particular model of Launtop generator is sold under dozens of
different names. There has been a recall on them. They have counterfeit
ISO 2001, CE and Canadian Standards Association (like UL) decals on them.

The breakers are also improperly marked. The Canadian Standards people
are doing NOTHING to help me, despite the fraudulent use of their
Trademarked logo. Launtop is also doing nothing. Red maple seems to be
conveniently out of business.

http://tinyurl.com/6zrfft

Don't buy Chinese.

mike