Old October 30th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Hammarlund comprison HQ-145X, 170A, 180A

Bill M wrote:

I've owned all three and think the 180A is the best of the lot. A
common complaint is the narrow audio on AM but I call that "selectivity"
(wink). Doesn't bother me because my top-end hearing response is
somewhat damaged.

I had a 170 for a short while when I first upgraded from novice and loved
the clock but didn't much like the overall tuning. Lots of backlash,
and the dials were hard to read.

When I traded it for an R-388, it was a night and day improvement... stuff
I could barely head on the 170 was well above the noise floor.
--scott