Old October 30th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Kenneth Scharf Kenneth Scharf is offline

Default Hammarlund comprison HQ-145X, 170A, 180A

On 10/29/2011 05:50 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
wrote:

Can someone compare the above receivers or direct me to a site that does?
I am interested in buying one of these and need to make a decision of which one does what.
I did look up the reviews on eham. It was good but lacked a bit of comparitive info.
Thanks

Saw a few Hammarlund sites on the net...information seems available.

I had only one experience with a Hammarlund but I think the electronics
leave alot to be desired. The physical contruction was par for the period,
solid heavy case, etc. but the components were not very good. The tuning was
rough and quality was lacking. Most of all, audio was very poor.

I would look at a National or Collins or Drake before I would ever look at
another Hammarlund. The Nationals can be huge but the audio is absolutely beautiful.

There were several series of Hammarlund receivers. The "Superpro"
receivers were the top of the line and there were several models over
the years from the very first Hammarlund "Comet Pro", SP-10, SP-100
series, SP-200 series, SP-400 series and the final SP-600. The middle
of the line general coverage receivers had 6 positions on the band
switch and consisted of the models HQ-120, HQ-129X,HQ-140, HQ-150,
HQ160, and HQ-180. The cheaper receivers had 5 position band switches
and lesser quality parts. These models included the HQ-100, HQ-145,
HQ-200, and HQ-205(with CB xcvr built in).

The HQ-110 was a ham band version of the HQ-100 and was not of the same
quality as the HQ-170 (ham band version of the HQ-180).