Old October 30th 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill M[_5_] Bill M[_5_] is offline

Default Hammarlund comprison HQ-145X, 170A, 180A

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Bill M wrote:

I've owned all three and think the 180A is the best of the lot. A
common complaint is the narrow audio on AM but I call that "selectivity"
(wink). Doesn't bother me because my top-end hearing response is
somewhat damaged.

With the "death" of shortwave broadcasting, the bands have gone from so crowded
that nothing can separate the signals to enough spacing that wide AM
selectivity is a good thing.

Still plenty to listen to, but you no longer need a sideband splitter
(or synchronous AM detector) or narrow filters to hear it.

Geoff.

Well, yes and no. Even though the SWBC bands are nowhere near as
crowded as in the past all it takes is 'one' situation where Rcvr A's
ability supercedes Rcvr B and then you're sold

All three are good radios. Gen Coverage vs ham band only coverage makes
the 170 an apple compared to the other two oranges in some respects. I
used a 170 for a while for hamming but I fell upon a sweetheart deal on
a 180A and made the switch. Although it didn't have that big vernier
knob like the 170 it was every bit as good - and maybe even better. I
wound up liking the 180A better - in part because I do like to cruise
the spectrum and I didn't feel like I lost anything on the ham bands by
going with a GC receiver.

Scott mentioned dial backlash. There must have been a problem with his
radio! Its a direct drive and I can't imagine how you could get
backlash unless the 'disc' had worn spots.

-Bill