Old October 30th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
John Ferrell[_2_] John Ferrell[_2_] is offline

Default Comet CAA-500 thread incompatibility

Thank you for being considerate and passing the the info along.

I confess to taking the easy way out most of the time so I
automatically think of some kind of hack to manage a workaround.

I have used a a short length of copper tubing and a slightly longer
piece of 1/8" wire or brass tube to adapt worn out PL259's to quick
service. Slit the tube a little and squeeze it for fit. Sometimes use
a stainless hose clamp. Not a "fix" but a workaround for the moment.

Once upon a time a trustworthy manufacturer put out a bunch of PL259
male connectors with out of spec threads. In my case, the antenna
connectors sufferred the most.

Your way is of course, the best way for the future use.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:41:02 +1100, "Johnno"
wrote:

Well I thought of that too, was going to use a Type N as a replacement, but
decided against that line of action.

Make an adaptor? I am a fitter and machinist, and so had the appropriate
thread turning gear including a lathe, but an adaptor would be a very clumsy
way around the problem and thinking about it and figured that it may
interfere with the calibration, and once I opened the box, warranty is non
existent.

I also figured that if I sat on the information, many of you would not be
aware that there is a problem with the thread sizes.

73
Johnno

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
I probably would have just opened up the box and put in an SO-239 jack.

On 10-26-2011 19:07, John Ferrell wrote:
I think I woulld have at least tried to fabricate an adapter.

John Ferrell W8CCW