Old November 4th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 11/4/2011 10:07 AM, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 11/4/2011 5:33 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
It started on Saturday night, with a finger-poke and my wife saying
"Bill, the power is out".

Damn it Bill, you owe me a keyboard.

Trust me: my wife poking my shoulder at ten pm is no laughing matter.
_SHE_ wanted _ME_ to stumble down to the basement and play blind man's
bluff until I came across the flashlight I had left there. The nerve of
that woman! My bedroom is still too cold: must be something wrong with
the heat.

Been there, done that, had all the same sorts of fun and
games in the process. At least YOU were UNDER the desk
when it collapsed. I was on top of it.

I not sure that having my face shoved up against the sharp edges on the
back of my wife's computer was any less memorable, but then again, I was
able to calm myself for at least 250 milliseconds by recalling that the
machine was off.

There seems to be a conspiracy among all the electronic devices in my
home: the more important they are in an emergency, the farther back into
the corner they will have receded. They insulate themselves with dust
balls, conceal themselves in darkness, protect their cords with
child-save latches that only a child could figure out, and roll over so
that their switches, controls, and indicators are facing the wrong
direction.

They should call it "Disaster Avoidance", not "Disaster Preparedness":
the trick is to avoid the other disasters that occurred when I tried to
deal with the original.

73, Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)