Old November 7th 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
philo philo is offline

Default CB to 10M conversion

On 11/04/2011 09:36 AM, Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, philo wrote:

On 11/03/2011 12:59 PM, Padraigh ProAmerica wrote:
Just acquired from an old lady her old CB transceiver. It's rather old;
crystal controlled. Is it feasable to swap out the 27 MHz crystals and
replace them with 10M crystals? Is there a source for these crystals?
And would any major modifications to the rig be required?

Any info would be appreciated (and yes, I hold a Technician class
license).

Years ago I actually took an old CB set and bought a crystal for the
lower end of the CW band and used it as a cw transmitter.
Used my HQ-140-X receiver.

Worked fine. When the band was open I worked Japan on it
with an indoor whip antenna!

THat's why all those Heathkit Sixers did so well, when the band opened
up, very little power was needed (of course, offset by the fact that the
band wasn't always open). Ten is the same way (though antennas are
longer), there was even that Hammarlund receiver with the CB transmitter
built in, that could easily be used on 10m.

Michael VE2BVW

Don't know why but for whatever reason I still recall the HQ-105-TR

The xmtr was for the CB band but I am sure it could have been usable on
10 meters

Anyway, back in the old days 10 meter AM was great!