Old November 8th 11, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.scanner,misc.legal,rec.radio.shortwave
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Canada outlaws hands-free ham radio

richard wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:56:46 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

"richard" wrote in message

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:28:14 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

Another dumb, unenforceable liberal law. How can they possible know
whether
you are using a hands free transceiver or not? You are driving
along with both hands on the wheel and talking..... For all they
know you are talking to a passenger, or singing along with the
music on your car radio. And why would it be any more dangerous
than doing either one of those two things?

I don't know if it's still that way, but back in the 70's, if you
even wanted to have a car radio in your car, you had to apply for a
special permit at the DMV, and they would levy a tax and stamp your
registration with the approval.

Where was this supposed to have happened? No state ever had such a
law.

Ach... I thought I had mentioned the state. It was Wyoming, and they
certainly did have such a law. I remember the headache when I tried
to register my first car there. I ended up using a pocket transistor
radio on the dash rather than pay the extra money (I was only 18,
and didn't have a lot of disposable income at the time..

Sounds more like a cash strapped city law than a state law.

There was an unwritten "law" that said red cars belonged to the fire
dept.

I can believe it. There have been many dumb laws passed. Some of them have
been thrown out by the higher courts, either 'state or federal. Like the guy
back in the 60's who wanted to start a cable TV business in southern
California. Every movie theatre had a petition in their lobbys to prevent
him from doing it. and hunderwds of thousands of movie goers signed it. Not
only that, but the stupid
California voters voted for it! Of course, the California Supreme Court
threw it out. (His cable business didn't take away anyone's rights. If he
came to your door and asked you if you wanted him to deliver a cable signal
to your house, all you had to do was say, "No", and slam the door in his
face. Ande, if your neighbor had one delivered to his living room, You
wouldn't even know it, so it wouldn't hurt you in the least) But millions
of California voters pulled the lever on "no" for that poor guy, and it cost
him a bundle to fight it to the state supreme court..... Go figure.....
People haven't a clue as to what the Constitution is all about. And by,
"people" I also mean our legislaters....