Old November 9th 11, 09:24 PM
Phillip W. Harris, PhD. Phillip W. Harris, PhD. is offline
Junior Member

I realize that the inquiry was over six years ago; I do not like to be negative about anything, but I thought I could post my experience with the Racal 6790; I have owned the rig for about three years; on-the-air time has been no more than an hour or two (literally); during that short tenture, I was impressed with the receiver; yes, no modern bells and whistes, but it seemed not to get in the way of the signal; that being said, I would not buy the receiver again; the first time I fired the rcvr up, it worked for about an hour and then I heard a pop and a little smoke came from the chassis; off to New England it was sent; it cost me a few hundred dollars for the repair (and not much less for the shipping as the rig is about 2' xs 2' square); got the receiver back and it worked for another hour and then I kept getting an odd error message on the screen that the manual didn't identify; make sure you download the first few pages of the manual as you will need it for the receiver's self-diagnosis system (push the AM and LOCK membrane switches simultaneously for such); my Harris 590A, Icom R-9000, Racal 17, and R-390 are comparable in performance and have run for years without so much of a hick-up; It is surprising the number of boat anchor people I talk to that include the 6970 in their collections that adds, "with issues". I see two listed today on QTH.COM for sale "as is". IMHO, I don't mean to bash anyone or anything, I just thought my two cents was worth giving to those still mulling this receiver. Thank you for the bandwidth, Phil