Old November 11th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
David Griffith David Griffith is offline

Default seeking modern catalog of vacuum tubes

Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, David Griffith wrote:

Is there such thing as a modern databook or catalog of
currently-produced vacuum tubes? I'm tinkering with the idea of making
a modern tube broadcast AM receiver that I can run all the time without
thinking "gee, I'm going to pay through the nose for more tubes when the
time comes".

Pick a popular tube and build around it.

Was it the Conar receiver that used only 6U8s? Something like that, which
of course has the advantage of not requiring a bunch of different tubes.

A double triode is bound to be easy to get still, they were so common. A
7360 was too exotic, it didn't appear in any consumer equipment (though
that sort of tube did appear in some tv sets, though I'm not sure enough
that decades later there'd be a lot of stock).

Double triodes, particularly 12ax7, I see are currently manufactured and
easily available. Can a superheterodyne receiver be made from just
that? Anyone have any useful schematics?

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs