Old November 11th 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Building a new shortwave tube radio

On Nov 11, 11:29*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

Oh, I didn't think of that. If WW3 breaks out, all arses will have
departed, because on hearing about the beginning of WW3 off the
Internet, everyone will bend down to kiss their arse goodbye, and
arses will depart, bye-bye, and no need for toilets or food any
more.

But "survivalist" resonated exuberantly in my mind because I'm 64, and
the foppish Beatles used to sing a song "will ya still lerve me when
I'm 64?". I'm 64. I know the answer, forbidden to be sung about by
anyone, and its NO, no one at all will lerve ya when your'e 64, so
that means all that's left is survival against a rotten horrible
marauding mob of young upstarts hell bent on invading and pillaging
and burying alive all that my father's generation established, and
they all **** a lot while I'm not allowed to 'av one, well, not for
free, and mean while this horrible lot are decimating the remaining
species across the planet, and all trying to build absurdly large
mansionettes, while all sending huge quantites of CO2 skywards which
will ruin the weather, and exacerbate their self generated future
difficulties.

One "survivavlist" I know had two sound systems I serviced, a Quad-II
with early Whardale LS, and a Leak system. Once inside the door of his
house, one entered the lounge-room, and it was all exactly as it was
in 1955, with a 1956 newspaper on the coffee table screaming headlines
"SUEZ BOMBED". 1956 was a time when the rot of modernity really got a
toe past the front door of most ppl, and rock and roll was seen as
just as bad as WW3.

So, this survivalist guy just saw no reason to mentally proceed past
1956. He worked his way up to being chief conserverator at the
Australian Sound and Film Archives where much of the audio-visual
media of the past ends up to be converted to digital files for future
generations to enjoy, and for old blokes to gloat over.

I humbly seek approval and aknowledgement that I know what
"survivalist" means, and I can also back up mu claim because I know
now that the older I get, the betta I was, and I have the recently
created medical and dental records to prove it.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

Professionals who know about old Racals and so on are just about all
dead now.
But to copy a Racal so you could provide a kit would be financial
suicide.

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Well, lotsa Mr Para Noids getting around on the Internet; they all
broadcast their ideas, using a false nickname, and wouldn't dare use
the name given to them by their parents.

So paranoidism isn't any big deal.

Bet ya don't go out to night clubs at 2AM any more to hunt for hot
crumpet. Too many arsoles will happily mug you. Paranoidism prevents
you wandering like a lost old dog than the young bitches will laugh
at. Survivalism has you staying at home.

But bicycles are safe during the day.

Patrick Turner.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, *N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(