Old November 13th 11, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 23:44 -0500, wrote:
Howard Lester wrote:
Why not just do it right to start with? My gas appliances (furnace, sto

ve,
hot water) are fueled with propane in an underground tank. Yes, propane

is
expensive. When I moved to this house my first major purchase was a 10k

Guardian standby generator hooked to the propane tank. Within 5 days af

ter
the thing was installed, the power went out.... The generator has been

Godsend out here.

You should be able to run heating and a diesel generator from the same ta

nk
if you choose a boiler which runs on diesel grade rather than kerosene..

Since my furnace and hot water heater both use natural gas, I'm
interested in using *that* to fuel a generator, but (as I wrote before),
I'm looking for cost figures that will help me to make an informed
decision about the most cost-effective fuel.

This is, of course, a complicated calculation: natural gas is more
convenient, but limits the genset to one location. Diesel is (so I've
heard) less expensive than gas, but the genset will cost more
initially.

If you are reading this, and *YOU* have bought or used any of the
options I've listed, please make your opinion known.

Tnx es 73,

Bill W1AC