Old November 13th 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester[_2_] Howard Lester[_2_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

"Bill Horne" wrote

This is, of course, a complicated calculation: natural gas is more
convenient, but limits the genset to one location. Diesel is (so I've
heard) less expensive than gas, but the genset will cost more
initially.

If you are reading this, and *YOU* have bought or used any of the
options I've listed, please make your opinion known.

Bill, in my case I am forced to use propane because there are no natural-gas
lines where I live. Supposedly natural gas is far cheaper, but as Jeff said,
its supply to your house can be cut off in a disaster. For the record, my
10kw Guardian generator and transfer box cost $4.1K installed. This was done
2 years ago. It connects to the line of the existing 500 gallon underground
propane tank. When the electricity goes out, the generator comes on
automatically in about 20 seconds. No flashlights are required, and you
don't have to get out of a warm bed to find any switches or matches.

Howard N7SO