Old November 14th 11, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 11/11/2011 10:12 AM, Jeffrey Angus wrote:

The biggest problem is the exhaust. If you can get a larger
muffler in addition to the one that it comes with, that's a
step in the right direction. The next problem is mechanical
noise. Most open frame generators sound like a blender full
of rocks.

With the Honda "I" series generators (Like the ef3000i) you are correct
that the largest noise is exhaust.

With many "Contractor" type generators, like the 300 dollar 3500 watt
job down at pep boys, it's mechanical noise plus exhaust.

I saw a demo of a Yahama EU-2400i one day (This is a true 2,000 watt
inverter generator 2000 continous and 2400 peak) This was at a rally so
there was rather a lot of crowd noise to deal with but.

Though I could hear the thing at idle... the salesman could not (The
1200-i I could not hear at idle) as you might safely assume, Many Ham
radio operators are used to "listening through noise" add to that 25
years on the police dispatch desk.

At half load we did not have to raise our voices

At full load, With one foot literally on top of the generator, it got
loud enough that we had to speak up.

Think about this "noise" level.. And recall we were close enough to
FEEL the exhaust.. I've not done this kind of test with the HONDA but
the spec sheet puts them ONE DB louder.... Just one.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

-----