Old May 6th 04, 05:27 PM
Paul Burridge

On 6 May 2004 01:14:53 GMT, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

Seems to me that if you're not sure how you ended up with it, then it's not
suitable for anything, because you don't know when it'll change to something
else nor how to make it happen reliably.

One way to end up with a waveform like that is to pass random noise into a
comparator. Another is to use a shift register to create a pseudorandom
sequence generator, and then look at one bit of it.

That gives me an idea, Walter... How about I amplify the white noise
from a suitably noisy diode and feed it through a Schmidt or something
similar? What sort of harmonic richness would that give me?

--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.