Old November 16th 11, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 11/14/2011 1:27 AM, John Davis wrote:

I saw a demo of a Yahama EU-2400i one day (This is a true 2,000 watt
inverter generator 2000 continous and 2400 peak) This was at a rally so
there was rather a lot of crowd noise to deal with but.

Though I could hear the thing at idle... the salesman could not (The
1200-i I could not hear at idle) as you might safely assume, Many Ham
radio operators are used to "listening through noise" add to that 25
years on the police dispatch desk.

At half load we did not have to raise our voices

At full load, With one foot literally on top of the generator, it got
loud enough that we had to speak up.

Think about this "noise" level.. And recall we were close enough to FEEL
the exhaust.. I've not done this kind of test with the HONDA but the
spec sheet puts them ONE DB louder.... Just one.

Please pass along any URL's that show side-by-side comparisons of the
sound output of the various generators in the "5KW" class. I'd also like
to see a chart that compares sound levels with common sources: "quiet as
a church mouse" up to "Chain saw", and four or five steps in between.

For some reason, I get the impression that generators are either super
quiet or unbelievably noisy, with no middle ground. I'd like to see if
my perceptions match reality.

TIA.

Bill, W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)