Old November 18th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Heil[_2_] Dave Heil[_2_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 11/16/2011 04 20, Bill Horne wrote:

Please pass along any URL's that show side-by-side comparisons of the
sound output of the various generators in the "5KW" class. I'd also like
to see a chart that compares sound levels with common sources: "quiet as
a church mouse" up to "Chain saw", and four or five steps in between.

For some reason, I get the impression that generators are either super
quiet or unbelievably noisy, with no middle ground. I'd like to see if
my perceptions match reality.

Here's my unscientific response:

We've used N8NN's little 1 KW Honda for a number of Field Day
operations. At 100 feet away, it is difficult to hear at a half load.

The 3 KW generator I used to own had a Briggs and Stratton engine. It
was very, very loud.

My current generator is a 4 KW Craftsman/Generac. It is less than half
as loud as the Briggs.

73,

Dave Heil K8MN