Old November 20th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 11/18/2011 1:58 PM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

True, but what's important to look at is the overall cost relative to
the energy produced. [snip]

So the increased energy content and the the increased energy efficiency
means that diesel engines will have an energy advantage over a gasoline
engine of about 1.75 to 1 per gallon of fuel. This more than
compensates for the greater cost ratio of about 1.25 to 1.

Paul,

Thanks for filling in the background on this. I'm reminded of the time
my sister rented a diesel-powered truck, and told me that she did it
because, although diesel was slightly higher than gas at the pump, the
truck would get over thirty miles per gallon.

Of course, the relative efficiency of the fuels is an important factor,
but I'm in need of advice from those who have operated BOTH gas and
diesel generators, because I need to know what the other costs a

1. Purchase price
2. Maintenance expenses
3. Fuel storage
4. Reliability

So, if you've owned or operated /both/ diesel and gas generators, please
chime in. Thanks!

Bill, W1AC

P.S. I'm also curious (although, frankly, it's not that high on my list)
about whether a diesel engine could run alternative fuels like
restaurant grease or the other "green" substitutes for diesel AND about
other hams who have actually done it.

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)